The Career Mentoring program was created with the desire to see Portland’s workforce more closely represent the diversity and strengths of its population. This initiative is funded by a grant from Worksystems and will serve diverse job seekers with barriers to employment pursuing careers in the IT or healthcare industries and participating in WorkSource training and employment programs.
The Career Mentoring program matches aspiring job seekers enrolled in either TechRise PDX or NW Promise to participate in a long-term mentoring relationship with a professional in their industry.
LengthMentoring relationships last 12-18 month
Time Commitment2 hours per month
ExperienceNo mentoring experience is required for those who wish to become mentors
TrainingMentors and mentees receive mentoring and cultural competency training
CostNo cost to participants, sponsored by Worksystems and Portland Leadership Foundation
Why become a mentee?
- To build trusting relationships with industry professionals
- To gain exposure to the culture of the IT or healthcare industries
- To increase your skills and knowledge to help you get your foot in the door in your desired industry
- To partner with industry experts to advance your professional development
Why become a mentor?
- To influence the career growth of diverse job seekers with barriers to employment
- To serve as a role model to aspiring professionals
- To directly impact an increase in the diversity of the IT and healthcare industries in your community
Become a Mentee
The ideal mentee candidate:
- Has a high school diploma or GED
- Has potential barriers to employment
- Is within six months of completing one of the TechRise PDX or NW Promise programs or completed a program within the last six months and is looking for employment or started a new job in their field
- Is able to commit 12-18 months to meeting with a mentor
- Is motivated to pursue professional development goals
How to apply:
Mentees must be referred by their career coach in TechRise PDX or NW Promise. Contact your career coach for more details.
Become a Mentor
The ideal mentor candidate:
- Has a minimum of two years work experience in either the IT or healthcare fields
- Has a desire to impact the diversity of the local workforce
- Is able to commit 12-18 months to meeting with a mentee
- Is comfortable building trusting relationships with people from diverse backgrounds